You are here: General conditions - Lawyers practice
General conditions - Lawyers practice
- These general conditions apply to all services provided by the lawyers of AGREMENTOR towards its clients. The contractual relationship exists between the client and AGREMENTOR, even if the client only has contact with one or more particular lawyers of AGREMENTOR. In the event of any conflict, these terms and conditions take precedence over any contrary terms and conditions of the client, unless otherwise agreed in writing by one of the partners of AGREMENTOR.
- Depending on the nature and complexity of the case, normally one or two lawyers are designated as primary contact(s) for the client. Other lawyers of AGREMENTOR can additionally be added to the team if according to AGREMENTOR this seems appropriate to meet the client's requested legal services. For specific matters AGREMENTOR is also entitled to have recourse to the services of lawyers from other offices.
- When AGREMENTOR is bound to (under the law, ethical rules or otherwise) any prior or other client inquiries, the client shall provide the information, documents and supporting documents, asked for by AGREMENTOR. In case of non-cooperation by the client, AGREMENTOR reserves the right to end the legal services, regardless of whether services have been performed prior to the non-cooperation, without prejudice on the part of the client to pay the services already rendered and the additional costs.
- Our fees for the provision of legal services are calculated on the basis of the time spent on a particular file and the hourly rate of the attorneys who performed the services in question. Our costs are on a flat rate basis. The amounts of both the hourly rates and the costs are normally communicated at the commencement of the lawyer-client relationship to the client and will be communicated in any case free of charge and upon first request of the client. The rates for the fees and charges may be changed from time to time, without prior notice. AGREMENTOR reserves the right to charge to the clients a provision regarding its fees and expenses. Statements of fees and expenses are normally prepared on a monthly basis and are payable within 15 days after the issue date. In the event of late payment, the statutory interest and a penalty of 10% of the outstanding amount is due as from the issuance date of the statement of fees and charges and without prior notice.
- The liability of AGREMENTOR and its lawyers, both contractual and extra-contractual, in respect of the Customer and third parties for any damages, losses or costs resulting directly or indirectly from the services, acts or omissions by AGREMENTOR and / or its lawyers is in any case limited to the amount actually paid to AGREMENTOR under its professional liability insurance, except in cases of wilful misconduct or fraud by AGREMENTOR. The amount of coverage under the professional liability policy which was closed by AGREMENTOR, exceeds the thresholds and requirements imposed by the applicable rules. A copy of the provisions of this liability insurance policy is provided free of charge and upon request to the client.
- AGREMENTOR can terminate the representation of its client for any reason in accordance with applicable ethical rules and / or when unpredictable or unforeseeable circumstances occur after initiation of the representation and which render the services provided by AGREMENTOR difficult or impossible. The client can terminate the representation AGREMENTOR at any time upon written notice. The termination of service does not affect the liability of the client to pay the costs and services performed prior to termination and services and costs related to the transfer of the file.
- Notwithstanding AGREMENTOR makes reasonable efforts to protect her e-mails and attachments against viruses or other defects which can affect computers or an IT system, it is the responsibility of the client to ensure that appropriate measures exist in order to protect computers and the IT -system of the client against such viruses or defects. AGREMENTOR accepts no liability for any loss or damage arising from the receipt or use of electronic communications from AGREMENTOR.
- The relationship between AGREMENTOR and the client shall be governed by Belgian law. In case of dispute, the courts of Brussels (Belgium) have only and exclusive jurisdiction, notwithstanding the right of AGREMENTOR to lodge the claim in the courts of the domicile or registered office of the client.